Like I mentioned yesterday, our families all came together this weekend to celebrate our engagement. We had the
party fiesta at a Tex-Mex restaurant called Chimi’s. It was pretty good but I still think Oklahoma has NOTHING on the Lone Star State’s Mexican cuisine. The restaurant had a separate room for us which was nice because we could shut the door and it ended up feeling intimate. There were quite a few DIY’s that I had planned but didn’t really get to most of them because the to-do list was just too long and I underestimated how long some of the tasks would take. The wedding date announcement was one of those sorely underestimated tasks. I’m not sure why I thought it would be quick and simple — simple kind of, quick most definitely not! But I am glad that I pushed through and didn’t leave it by the wayside to focus on other tasks.
I found the large picture frame at the Tulsa Flea Market. I do my best to make it to the flea market every Saturday that it’s open in various buildings at Expo Square. It was $28 which was a little pricey, I thought, for an empty frame that was brown and gold. But I really liked the detailing around the edges and the size so it had to be mine. I also forgot to take a picture of the frame all by itself before I cleaned it up, so use your imagination.
I brought it home then wiped it down and realized a lot of that brown was just dust. After cleaning it and letting it dry a bit I started spraying multiple coats of Pistachio Krylon spray paint. This project took the whole can. I also spray painted some mini-clothespins gold. I have had these clothespins sitting in my craft box for about 6 or 7 years. I don’t recall the project I had purchased them for originally but it’s nice to have finally used them! After the picture frame finished drying I roughed it up a bit with a scrap of sand paper, just enough to see the gold underneath. I wiped down the frame to get all the dust off and then I sprayed it and the clips with a clear glossy coat.
In between coats, I worked on putting together my message. I printed out large letters that would make up the words. I could only fit two letters on one sheet of paper. I used carbon paper to trace the letters onto my pretty green card stock. This is the part that took longer than expected. Choosing a font, sizing each letter, situating it just right on the document, printing, tracing and carefully cutting out took ages! I attached the letters using the now gold clips to wire that I strung across the frame. I used green floral wire because it matched our theme and said it was easy to cut… not true considering it “unrolled” in one tangled mess.
I’m really pleased with how the sign turned out! As you can see, we’re planning for a May 24 wedding however that may be changing in the near future. No matter which date is eventually settled upon, I plan on using this frame later on but instead of a message it will likely hold photos.